Thursday, November 24, 2011

And then I burned the crap out of the stove...



I like to make cranberry sauce. It's easy and well received and lasts a while- the batch  that I whip up at Thanksgiving makes it through New Year's. This is the cranberry sauce that people who turn up their noses at the canned stuff devour. Or at least eat. It's good. And easy. And pretty.

I thought I would share it with you this year,so I got to cooking the other other day...and well, and share I will. The good, and the Dang It! I did what?

Orange Cranberry Sauce


1 bag fresh cranberries
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 cup orange juice (or apple, or orange pineapple..lots of juices work)
Zest of an orange

Rinse cranberries and pull out nasty ones

In pan, mix juice, sugar and zest with cranberries

I used orange pineapple. Which, also mixes very refreshingly with whipped cream flavored vodka. But in a glass, not in your cranberry sauce..although...hmmm.
Bring to boil.



Yes, all of you wise cooks who saw my pan choice called this mess, didn't you?  Use a bigger pan. Or watch very carefully.
Like I said, carefully bring to boil
mmm, burnt sugar. Nothing quite like the smell of burnt sugar

What you are waiting for, most of the cranberries will pop open, this takes less than 5 minutes.

That's all. As it cools the pectin from the cranberries will help set the sauce. Not set enough to cut, but come on, that stuff is nasty.
If you do make a burned mess, wait until the burner cools, and put a wet towel over it to softnen the mess..for about 5 times as long as it took to cook the cranberry sauce. No lie. Even then it was burned on hard! I had to resort to a razor to get the last bits up. I don't recommend this. BIGGER pot.

1 comment:

  1. I luv me some cranberry sauce, I use the same recipe. I luv it. Did I mention that. And for a super special treat, I sometimes add a splash, or a dozen of Grand Marnier. Holy Heck a lotta luv for that one. This year my Thanksgiving was seriously lacking on the cranberry sauce. When I asked about it some fool passed me the beets. Um, not even close to the same. Now I must hunt me down some berries. STAT!!

    ReplyDelete

Something! Anything! Word association, your grocery list, a thumbs up...I don't care! I'm a comment 'ho and I can't get enough!
*ahem* I mean, thanks for taking a moment to comment! Blogs like mine(that is to say- free from ads)consider any commentary payment for a job done. Maybe done well.