Monday, November 2, 2009

And The Award Goes To....




This morning I am walking around the house, collecting anything Halloween. As a moderately conservative Christian I am conflicted with this holiday. I don't really like calling it a " holiday" even... let's go with "Community Event".

Part of me does not like the satanic influences present at this time of year, but the other part of me really likes the fun aspects. Candy, dressing up,cute pumpkin faces,and charming fall decorations make me a bit giddy. My mother was a costume designer by profession. Halloween put food on our table and sent me to college. Many years I worked in her store, dressing people for parties and trick or treating. It was fun, a happening. But now I see a little kid dressed like the devil, and I get sad. I believe the devil to to be very real, as much as I believe angels to be real. I do not think you can believe in one without the other.Thus the conflict.

My neighborhood generally goes all out. We live in a subdivision in a rural town. The " country" kids come here to trick or treat. Add the ones who already live here and a good chunk of the entire school district population is contained with the boundaries of our ' hood. This year we gave out close to 900 dum-dums ( one or 2 apiece). The streets are full of activity and lined with parked cars. Garages are decorated as haunted houses complete with smoke machines music and costumed adults. Some people are hosting fire-pit parties in thier driveways as they pass out candy. Anything that can bring that many people together in a spirit of fun and frivolity is good in my book.



Our compromise for the Community Event is that we don't do scary. Our kids don't' dress scary, our house is not decorated scary, and we have every light on possible to make it a beacon in the darkness.

So today, I am putting all the pumpkins away. The cheery orange luminarias that graced the porch will be put in a box until October 31st,2010. All that will remain are some autumnal decor that should carry us to Thanksgiving. But as I am packing it all away I realize that I was struck by some things that I saw this year. Other events have awards so I think I will pass some out myself. I mull over a few names ideas in my head, narrowing the titles to two. With much thought ( ok, not that much) I toss out " Boo Who's" because it just sounds sad.

Now I present to you the 2009 Halloween Wrap- Up Awards... The Boo!-bies!

The 11th Hour Award : Kate! At midnight on October 30th she actually thought about giving in and creating her Tween-age daughters costume change idea. It didn't happen, but she gets the award for considering it!

The Realism Award: Megan! Megan dyed her 3 yr olds blond hair red so that her Ariel costume would be more authentic. Not telling the child she was dying her hair made it all the more entertaining for this spectator. Even temporary hair dye takes a bit to come out. Now it's pink.

The We Are All In This Together Award: Christy! Christy posted on her facebook status that adult trick or treaters would be given adult beverages, all they had to do was say the words " trick or treat". And she did!

The Boo on You Award: Whoever those SEVERAL adults dressed in scary costumes were, that hid in the darkness waiting to scare my 4 yr old- who was CLINGING to my side. They got deflected with a very loud " No, Noah, ADULTS WOULDN'T SCARE A LITTLE KID!!!" but still, they wanted to pounce.

Cutest Costume and Give that Mom a Drink Award: Mari!! Mari hand made not one but TWO darling cupcake costumes for her twin 2 year olds. Totally adorable!

Go If You DARE- BWAHAHAHAHA Award: John and Mariam! For as many years as we have lived near them they have created an elaborate and completely frightening yard and driveway display. The detail is quite impressive. Costumed characters, chainsaws,sound effects and a creepy graveyard make thier house the most visited in the subdivision. I have no idea what kind of candy they give out because my kids walk to the other side of the street.

Spin It Award:Smiles Change Lives Candy Exchange. We had a couple kids collecting candy for this. For every pound collected, Ace Scale Company donated a dollar to Smiles Change Lives.The candy then went to troops overseas. I know a family who has benefited form this organization, their daughter received braces that the family could not have afforded.( and for the record, the kids who came by had TWO bags... one for themselves and one for the collection. I was ok with that!

The Tim Gunn Make It Work Award: Beks who pitched her " punked out country girl" costume idea for pure punk and sewed her own skirt at 3PM on Halloween.

The No Candy For You Award: The grown women dressed in scanky attire who came up to the door for candy. With no kids in tow. Really? Seriously? Come on!

Before Her Time Award: Me! When the older two were tots I dressed in costume every year. I was usually the only adult who did. This year, when I went dressed as a Mom, I saw more adults in costume than every year before combined. I'm not sure if that makes me ahead of my time, or just dorky. There is a fine line.

I have a few more decorations to box up, and I need to do a complete De-Doting and De-Reecing of the kids candy haul, but I think this year will go down as a very great Halloween. Congratulations to all Boo-bie Award Recipients!!

4 comments:

  1. I'm a boo-bie! Woohoo! I de-Reecied the kids bags before they made it home. A grand total of 2. I was very disappointed in the candy givers this year. What a state. :)

    I too struggle with the decorating for Halloween. I love to re-decorate the house, and do so every month. It's very difficult to find festive decor that isn't scary or covered with death.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear, I didn't realize devil costumes were offensive.... and I sent one to Susan T. Can I get a boo-bie award for insensitivity? Great blog, Susan!

    ReplyDelete

Something! Anything! Word association, your grocery list, a thumbs up...I don't care! I'm a comment 'ho and I can't get enough!
*ahem* I mean, thanks for taking a moment to comment! Blogs like mine(that is to say- free from ads)consider any commentary payment for a job done. Maybe done well.