Friday, January 23, 2009

Mama's Little Helper


Historically moms have all had some sort of vice that helps break the monotony of thier day. A little some somethin' that adds zip to a life that has a tendency of becoming mundane. Maybe talking on the phone, never ending cups of coffee, smoking, or a glass of sweet vermouth while they cook dinner. Some moms shop, others exercise . I've heard some interesting things about moms who partake in an occasional hit of a joint. And of course, there is the cliche Mothers Little Helpers of prescription drugs that moms use to take the edge off. It's not an easy job, the stay at home-ing.. few quantitative rewards, many challenges. and lots of days that seem oddly just like the last one. Now that the percentage of moms that stay home has dropped below that of working moms, we have an added issue of loneliness. Fewer peers in our neighborhoods that would fill the " I'm with ya sistah" void.

So we come to my helper. The Internet. My name is Susan and I have an Internet addiction. That is what my husband says anyway... and sometimes he is joking. I think " addiction" is a bit harsh. It is not the reason I get up in the morning. I do go days without it ( usually weekend days). I get my work done, kids are nurtured, lessons taught, laundry folded, house ( reasonably) clean. However, most days I feel the need to take an occasional hit off of facebook.. a long drag from my moms message board...a shot of email. Some days this is the only interaction I have with people that are not in my family. It is often my only validation that I am interesting, or funny or smart. I learn about our world, expand my view beyond my rural community and challenge myself. I let my kids go online to explore thier worlds. I show my kids that if they have an interst in something, they can find out more about it, and look beyond what is presented to them to discover what they beleive.


I am pretty sure I am not alone in this. I have taken friendships from keyboard to phone to coffee shop with others who share this activity. It is better on the body than drinking or smoking. It is easier on the budget than shopping. It is legal ( well, the way I do it , it is) and won't send a bad message to my kids Can't say that about that using drugs or alcohol to give a buzz to my day.

My computer is in my family room. My son, who still is at home, can play right next to me while I write this. If the kids are sick they are on the couch, within physical reach of me. I might be distracted for a moment- but I am here and can easily disengage and put my attention where it is required. To my family.

Like all things, moderation is the key, of course. Could I , given the proper circumstance, stay on the computer all day ignoring anything going on around me? Sure, I suppose I could. I never have. I hope to never be able to confirm that. That is when I will unplug the box. The line that I won't cross. How I decide if it has gone beyond activity to addiction: when I have to unplug from the things that are most important to me because of it, I will unplug the computer.

3 comments:

  1. You ARE smart and funny and a talented writer and cute and wise. I really do enjoy reading your "stuff."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the key to a really good piece of writing is it be funny and true. I love this part so much:

    "However, most days I feel the need to take an occasional hit off of facebook.. a long drag from my moms message board...a shot of email. Some days this is the only interaction I have with people that are not in my family. It is often my only validation that I am interesting, or funny or smart. "

    ReplyDelete
  3. THANK YOU BOTH!!!

    Tracy- I really liked that part, too--- when I reread it I wondered who wrote it.

    ReplyDelete

Something! Anything! Word association, your grocery list, a thumbs up...I don't care! I'm a comment 'ho and I can't get enough!
*ahem* I mean, thanks for taking a moment to comment! Blogs like mine(that is to say- free from ads)consider any commentary payment for a job done. Maybe done well.